Monday, December 29, 2008

Yikes-really bad ski fashion

Observing the multitudes of skiers and boarders from the Lodge today, all I could think was where was the missing link to Jean Claude Killy? ...how is it possible that this is the legacy of such a “sexy” sport.

The “fashions” on display should be rated…my new role...ski fashionista. Abominable taste for the most part, but I will also …gladly …and on the rare occasion I see something “fashionable” post that here for your perusal and opportunity to enjoy, and emulate.

 Snowboarders in particular appear to exhibit horrific taste…The young men who tend toward scraggly beards and oversize pants… the more that you look like you’ve just finished working at the local Mobil station and worked under the car the better. Grease oil stains and just generally the more filthy the better. At one point  when I needed a jump start for my car I mistakenly 

approached  a snowboarder, that’s an easy mistake.

I’ve skied in some of the great resorts of the world and there is no way your average Cortina or Zermatt visitor would dare be seen dressed like some of these folks as they parade down the main street each evening. Yet here it is considered the “norm”

So from now on I will publish the truly heinous in ski fashion…and the well coifed…I’m sure there will be less of the latter, but here’s hoping for a surprise in that direction.

Where’s a Nikki Beach where ostensibly the good looking go? Or a Club 66? Is there a market here for that? I mean the Matterhorn is decidedly tacky, and full of the aforesaid badly dressed and presented. A season of watching will tell. 

The stores in the new Spruce Lodge include an elegant Ralph Lauren store. On display a range of fashion suited for lounging at the Lodge. Did I see any one outfit stylishly worn? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment